9 September 2013

1001 fragments

You know when you see the title of a blog post that it is going to stir 1001 things even before you read it. Beautiful words but they still stir too deep.

Tears prick


You are cooking tea and it is a miracle that it ends up tasty and on the plate because your head is at once all-of-a-muddle. And the things that are routine all of a sudden need more effort and culinary wrestling.


The soundtrack while you are cooking is all the good music - the fat Rachmaninov chords that are the invisible, undefinable super glue for those messy breaks in the soul, the surety of father Bach. Then the nationalist pride of the Dam Busters March the sound of which instinctively makes your spine more upright. 


The nudge that reminds you that some bright spark set the words of Psalm 42 to that very tune
God the Lord of hosts is with us EVERmore.


The tears mingle with the tears from chopping the shallots

How we long for the soul to be fixed and for the stirring not to start. To not wrestle with the dark thoughts whilst chopping the vegetables and slicing the chicken.


You sit in front of the piano and play out Salvation's Song over, because it is technically challenging for this pianist (despite years of training.) The five sharps at the start of each line of music look like flies that are squished up on the paper, but more readily recognised as hashtags. Words that are so heavy with goodness each. and. every. single. one. 

And you want to use every last breath you have to pour completely into the meaning and yet there is still more to be given from the Maker. How did that song get under the radar?

We are frail and we break. 


The words of some of the old hymns come flooding in. And they become the stones which pile up and we can climb up and out towards the daylight once more.

In those moments you know you are known, precious 


Even with the 1001 things stirred, all clamouring for attention 


Just as fine rays of sun reach tentatively through the mist 


****


Loved before the dawn of time
Chosen by my Maker
Hidden in my Saviour
I am His and He is mine
Cherished for eternity

When I'm stained with guilt and sin,
He is there to lift me
Heal me and forgive me
Gives me strength to stand again
Stronger than I was before

So with every breath that I am given
I will sing salvation's song
And I'll join the chorus of creation
Giving praise to Christ alone

All the claims of Satan's curse
Lifted through His offering
Satisfied through suffering
All the blessings He deserves
Poured on my unworthy soul

Singing glory, honour, wisdom, power
To the Lamb upon the throne;
Hallelujah, I will lift Him high.
Hallelujah I will sing 
with every breath that I am given
I will sing salvation's song
And I'll join the chorus of creation
Giving praise to Christ alone

Stars will fade and mountains fall
Christ will shine forever
Love's unfading splendour
Earth and heaven will bow in awe
Joining in salvation's song

Stuart Townend 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment