11 March 2013

#lentphotos - 23 - divine



Mmm chocolate and some thoughts on the hymn, mostly the last verse..

When we got married my mum kept hinting that she and dad had this hymn at their wedding, (probably why I chose not to.)  But I do still love the hymn and had the privilege of playing and singing it this morning at someone's funeral (the charismatic arm waving was restricted to my heart as I was playing piano.)

Pure and spotless this made me laugh a lot when our eldest had chicken pox. As a toddler he'd contracted it the day we moved house and so he and I had to remain holed up in our new home until he was pure and spotless and safe to be let out again.  For me it always has to be spotless not sinless.

Changed from glory .. lost in wonder, love and praise were the lines that made me realise for the first time at 17 that you did not have to be singing a certain type of song to be totally lost in the goose-bumpy wonderfulness of worshipping Jesus.  More than 30 years on my arm hairs still stand on end when I sing these lines (even if an organist is rubbish).  It's all in the words and about those words getting into the heart.

Finish then Thy new creation
Pure and spotless let us be.
Let us see Thy great salvation
Perfectly restored in Thee,
Changed from glory into glory
Till in heaven we take our place,
Till we cast our crowns before Thee
Lost in wonder, love and praise

No comments:

Post a Comment